Israeli Perl Workshop 2012
Regarding the Israeli Perl Workshop 2012 specifically, please answer the following as best you can.
These questions are used to try and identify areas of the conference that did and didn't work, with the aim of giving future organisers an opportunity to improve on all aspects of the conferences experience.
When did you decide to come to this conference?
| 14||I'm now a regular Israeli Perl Workshop attendee|
| 1||After seeing promotion on social networking sites (e.g. Twitter, Facebook, etc)|
| 4||I was nominated to attend by manager/colleague|
| 7||I was recommended to attend by friend/colleague|
| 3||After seeing a link or advert on a Perl specific site|
| 0||After seeing a link or advert on a non-Perl site|
| 7||After reading an email sent to a mailing list I was on|
| 1||After seeing other promotions online/in the press|
| 3||other ...|
If 'Other' please let us know when
- i want to keep coming if i am able to.
Were you a speaker?
| 6||No, but I have spoken before at similar conferences|
| 6||Yes, and I have spoken before at similar conferences|
| 3||Yes, and it was my first time as a speaker|
Note that "similar conferences" includes other Workshops and YAPCs, as well as Linux, Open Source or large technical events.
If you were a speaker, would you have been able to attend if you hadn't been speaking?
If you weren't a speaker, would you consider speaking at a future conference?
| 8||Ask me later|
What was your motivation for coming?
| 13||the list of speakers|
| 21||the quality of the talks scheduled|
| 3||to be a speaker|
| 25||to meet with Perl/project co-contributors|
| 26||to socialise with Perl geeks|
| 2||to visit Ramat Gan/Israel|
| 1||other ...|
If 'Other' please let us know your motivation for coming
What aspects of the conference do you feel gave value for money?
| 31||the talks / speakers|
| 11||the conference venue|
| 2||the city of Ramat Gan|
| 4||the hallway track|
| 23||the attendees|
| 20||the organisers and staff|
| 1||other ...|
If 'Other' please enter your suggestions
- The conference did not cost anything.
Did you have holiday planned around your workshop attendance?
| 30||I came just for the workshop|
| 1||several days before only|
| 0||1 day before only|
| 2||several days before and after|
| 0||1 day after only|
| 0||several days after only|
Were there any talks you wanted to see, but missed due to clashes in the schedule?
If 'Yes', which talks did you miss?
There are always conflicts in the schedule, as it's difficult to know what everyone would like to see. However, if you could list a few talks that you missed, it would give speakers an idea whether it would be worth updating their talks for furture events.
- Generating vector graphics with Perl and SVG
- Time Management In Software Projects
- Dotan Dimet/CGI.pm - the only web development framework you'll ever need
- Stefan Hornburg/Modern PerlCommerce
- David Tabachnikov/Time Management In Software Projects
- Sawyer X/Writing readable Perl while standing on one leg
- I missed some talks due to my work constraints (all after lunch).
- Just about all of them :)
- Many of those in the other room.
- SVG Generation
- the bioinformatics and java talk
- Ubic; SCM; Writing readable Perl.
- Wasn't aware there will be a video recording of one of the tracks, otherwise I would be able to collect them all! ARRRRGH!
- Why must CGI die
Were there any speakers not present, who you would like to have seen at the workshop?
If 'Yes', which speakers?
- first time, so i can't answer
- Larry Wall (again),
Gaal Yahas &
- Many Israeli and International speakers who did not come.
- Time Management talk
How do you rate the workshop?
How would you rate your overall satisfaction of the following areas of the workshop?
|Choices || 1|| 2|| 3|| 4|| 5|
|Newsletters/Updates || 26|| 9|| -|| -|| -|
|Web site || 22|| 14|| 1|| -|| -|
|Registration process || 34|| 5|| 1|| -|| -|
|Directions/Maps || 18|| 12|| 5|| 2|| -|
|Content of the talks || 13|| 22|| 3|| 1|| -|
|Schedule efficiency || 13|| 20|| 7|| -|| -|
|Social events || 15|| 8|| -|| -|| -|
|Facilities || 20|| 17|| 2|| -|| -|
|Staff || 31|| 8|| -|| -|| -|
|Overall experience || 22|| 17|| -|| 1|| -|
|Value for price || 26|| 7|| 2|| -|| -|
1 = Very Satisfied
2 = Somewhat satisfied
3 = Somewhat un-satisfied
4 = Very un-satisfied
5 = N/A
Would you like to expand on any strong views?
- a link to all presentation in the site or through the mailing list could be great
The workshop was great. I personally prefer Hebrew talks, so I think it could have been better to separate the tracks by language (one Hebrew track and one English track)
- I felt welcome and learned a lot from some of the lectures. Other lectures were very specific and as a beginner I found it hard to follow. I don't think this needs to be changed as the conference is for a mixed audience. Vegan food was a delight!!!
- It reinforced my views about conferences: a waste of time, except for the mingling! When subjects new to me were presented, I didn't understand a word. (Example: What the hell is "Sugar"? Why is it called that?) When subject in which I have experience were presented, I didn't learn anything new. And those areas where I was somewhat familiar with, I was quickly left behind.
As I said, a waste of precious time...
- More or less a match with my expectations.